RSI ‘Panos Mylonas’ and the Representation of the European Commission in Greece
Launch their new bold Awareness Campaign on Speed
“A while ago…” campaign is an RSI ‘Panos Mylonas’ initiative planned and hosted in collaboration with the Representation of the European Commission for Greece and as a joint CAA and RSi initiative for Cyprus under the support of the FIA. The campaign is at the core of RSI’s road safety actions implemented specifically to mark the Fourth UN Global Road Safety Week (8-14 May 2017), which focuses on speed, identified worldwide as a major risk factor of death and disability. The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness among the Greek and Cypriot public about the dangers of speeding. Speeding is the number one traffic violation in Greece and Cyprus and also the most common identified cause of road crashes. A special focus of the campaign is on young male drivers who -according to statistics- are more likely to be involved in speed - related crashes.
Road traffic crashes remain the number one cause of death among young people aged 15 – 29 years. Unfortunately, the consequences of speed are devastating for people of all ages and for those who survive as well. Our bodies are not built to sustain the impact of a crash at high speeds and disability leaves survivors physically and mentally broken. Road crashes cause nonfatal injuries to as many as 50 million people around the world each year. Especially vulnerable to the impact of speed are pedestrians, cyclists, children and the elderly. Drivers should be made aware that by slowing down they can save lives. Even a 5% decrease in medium speed can result to 30% fewer accidents. The Campaign consists of TV / radio spots and a poster. It will run both in Greece and Cyprus until the end of June 2017 via an impressive array of channels and in collaboration with state and private entities in both countries.
The promotional scheme of the campaign includes a series of actions, namely:
- Press conference and launching event of the Campaign, held at the Athens Offices of the European Parliament in Greece on Thursday 11th May 2017.
- Launching Event of the Campaign in Cyprus during the National Motor Show (May 2017) presenting the posters and messages of the campaign during the attractive event, gathering thousands of visitors.
The campaign will be also broadcasted and presented during the Cyprus Rally (in June 2017) and throughout summer.
- Broadcasting of the TV and Radio spots by national and local media outlets approved as social messages by the Greek National Council for Radio and Television (from 11th May to June 2017).
- The TV Spot will also be shared internationally by FIA via their social media profiles and websites.
- RSI’s and Global Week’s messages on speed and road safety will be embedded in the Integrated Telematics System of the Athens Urban Transport Organization, daily reaching over a million passengers. Action implemented by RSI in collaboration with OASA.
- The campaign will also be disseminated through the channels of a cluster of stakeholders that have formed the Alliance of Safety and Culture on the Roads “Roads for the Future”, an initiative developed and coordinated by RSI “Panos Mylonas” 6 years ago with ongoing activities.
- The Hellenic Traffic Police is also among those in support of the Campaign.